Retire in Thailand

Home ยป Retire in Thailand
Retire in Thailand

Retire in Thailand today. It is not a surprise that foreigners find themselves wanting to spend their retirement in the Land of Smiles. Seeing yourself living permanently as you grow old in this great Kingdom is a wondrous thing. With Thailand’s great culture and beautiful nice people, applying for a retirement visa in Thailand would be the best thing every person has wanted. But, how could we stay for long term? How can we live permanently in Thailand?

Retire in ThailandRetire in Thailand

The application for the Thai retirement visa can be processed either in your home country or in Thailand. If applying from your home country, it is required that you apply for a 90-day nonimmigrant o visa from the Thai embassy or consulate nearest to you prior to your application for retirement visa inside Thailand.

Initially, a 90 day nonimmigrant o can be obtained once requirements are met. And conversion of your initial visa to 1 year retirement visa can be completed in Thailand.


  • Must be 50 years old and above
  • And Financial Requirements are as follows:
  • Bank Account showing 800,000thb
  • Monthly income of at least 65,000thb


  • Combination of Bank Account + Income x 12 in total of 800,000thb

The retirement visa once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. And a month before the visa is due to expire, renewal should take place at the nearest Thai immigration office. This type of visa can be valid for single entry or multiple entries should you be a frequent traveller. Please note that you are not allowed to have employment while on this type of visa. Also be mindful that you must report to the immigration every 90 days to verify your current address. However, if you have planned travel before the scheduled 90-day reporting, your entry back to Thailand will serve as your reporting. Speak to a Thai law firm for more advice.

You might find the process confusing and need to make sure you can have it done properly, then it is best to seek legal help for the said process.